Sept. 20, 2010 – This year's Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) Annual Meeting starts tomorrow in New York, and The Lemelson Foundation is well represented by a number of our partners who will be speaking throughout the event.
Established in 2005 by former President Bill Clinton, CGI convenes global leaders to devise and implement innovative solutions to some of the world’s most pressing challenges. This year's event takes place September 21-23 with a variety of plenary sessions, keynotes, discussion and breakout sessions. Among The Lemelson Foundation partners and grantees speaking are:
- Iqbal Quadir, Founder and Director, Legatum Center for Development and Entrepreneurship – Mr. Quadir, who is also the founder of Grameenphone, will be participating in the plenary session "Strengthening Market-Based Solutions" on Wednesday morning from 9 to 10 a.m. EDT.
- Elizabeth Hausler, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Build Change; Sathya Jeganathan, Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Chengalpattu Medical College, India; and David Kuria, Chief Executive Officer, Ecotact Limited – Dr. Hausler, Dr. Jeganathan and Mr. Kuria will be participating in the Market-Based Solutions breakout session "Advancing Development By Design," on Wednesday morning from 10:30-11:30 a.m. EDT.
- Jean Pierre Martial, President and Founder, Integrated Sustainable Development Partners – Mr. Martial will be participating in the Market-Based Solutions breakout session "Supply Chains of Opportunity," on Wednesday morning from 10:30-11:30 a.m. EDT.
- Chuck Slaughter, President, Living Goods – Mr. Slaughter is moderating the small group discussion "Micro-Franchises" on Wednesday from noon to 1:30 p.m. EDT.
- Dr. Robert Lemelson, Director, The Lemelson Foundation, and a research anthropologist at the Semel Institute of Neuroscience at UCLA – Dr. Lemelson, son of our founders Jerome and Dorothy Lemelson, will be moderating the small group discussion "Seeding Societal Renewal" on Wednesday from noon to 1:30 p.m. EDT.
- Tri Mumpuni, Executive Director, IBEKA – Mrs. Mumpuni will be participating in the Technology breakout session "Clean technology and Smart Energy: Deploying the Green Economy" on Thursday from 10:30-11:30 a.m. EDT.
In addition to the various Lemelson Foundation partners speaking at CGI, several will be making announcements of commitments throughout the conference. Additionally, our Executive Director Julia Novy-Hildesley served as a Topic Leader for the Market-Based Solutions Track.
For a full agenda of this year's Clinton Global Initiative Annual Meeting, visit: http://www.clintonglobalinitiative.org/ourmeetings/2010/meeting_annual_agenda.asp
All the plenary, special and breakout sessions will be live webcast.